ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Best way to use TSM to move 2Tb of data

2008-12-11 15:13:13
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Best way to use TSM to move 2Tb of data
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 15:11:19 -0500
>> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 13:35:35 -0600, Nicholas Rodolfich <NRodolfich AT
>> CMAONTHEWEB DOT COM> said:

> I have a client that needs to move a 2Tb volume on their Windows file
> server. Their TSM sever is also on Windows w/TSM v5.3.4. What is the
> fastest/best  way to accomplish this. We tested an archive but it only got
> 340Gb overnight.

12M/s?  And that's at 8 hours; if you set it up at 1800 and looked at
0900 the next morning it gets worse.

That sounds like a bottleneck somewhere. Writing just one stream to
tape, I'd expect 30-40MB/s to be a slam dunk, and 60-80 to be
achievable.  The press releases claim 120.

This may sound stupid, but: Are you -SURE- it's going out a gigabit
interface?  No, really.

> They don't have enough disk based pool space to land it there so we
> will have to use tape.

For such a large serial transfer, tape is what you want.

- Allen S. Rout