ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Best way to use TSM to move 2Tb of data

2008-12-12 13:13:18
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Best way to use TSM to move 2Tb of data
From: Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 19:12:17 +0100
On Dec 12, 2008, at 17:46 , Kelly Lipp wrote:

If you assume a file create rate of about 100,000/hour then you are
looking at a 20 hour restore if all else goes well.  You might
squeeze more file creates out of your new server, but who really
knows?  If you assume a 200 GB/hour transfer rate and use image
instead, you can cut the restore time in half. You can't improve the
file create rate by using multiple streams.  In fact, that actually
reduces the rate.

I'm still advocating the image route.

and usually, when Kelly tells you to jump, you jump. Really Kelly
usually knows best.

Of course, thinking outside the TSM box, rsync-like tools can do a
great job, I've even use rsync one to move all data from one HSM
enable AIX server to another... I guess there must be windows
alternatives, I've heard talk of robocopy, but I'm not a windows
expert....

Kelly Lipp
CTO
STORServer, Inc.