ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] New Tape Library

2008-07-12 19:30:18
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] New Tape Library
From: "Schneider, John" <John.Schneider AT MERCY DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 18:28:41 -0500
Greetings,
        You don't say for sure, but I presume the same model of tape
drives are in use in both tape libraries, LTO3 for example.

1) Delete the old Library from TSM. To do this, delete the:
        - drive paths
        - drives
        - library path
        - library
In that order.
When you do this, the old library inventory is deleted.

2) Pause the new library.  Use the touchscreen on the library to do
this.
3) Open the doors, and put the tapes into the new library.  When you
close the doors, wait until the library gets to Ready status.
4) Using the Web site provided for the library, or the touchscreen on
the front of the library, perform a full inventory of the library.
5) Check the new tapes into the new library using TSM admin commands:
        checkin libv ibm3584 search=yes checkl=barc status=scratch
        checkin libv ibm3584 search=yes checkl=barc status=private
(assuming "ibm3584" is your library name)
6) Issue "q actlog" to monitor the progress of these, and wait until
complete.  A "q libv" should show the tapes now in the new library.

7) Use the "update devclass" command to update the device class for the
device classes that pointed to your old library so the now point to your
new library.

I don't think I have left anything out.

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider