ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Anyone know of issues running older clients against 5.4.3 server?

2008-04-10 14:57:20
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Anyone know of issues running older clients against 5.4.3 server?
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 14:53:34 -0400
Maybe in a perfect world............

But when you have vendor maintained applications/servers that run things
like Windows 2000 or the Linux 2.4 kernel or Solaris 8 or SGI, you don't
have a choice but to use the old clients!

Remco Post <r.post AT PLCS DOT NL>
04/10/2008 02:38 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject

Paul Zarnowski wrote:
> We are about to upgrade our servers from 5.3.4 to 5.4.3.  I'd like to
know
> if anyone knows of any problems running older clients with a 5.4.x
> server.  While I know IBM only supports 1 version back, it's usually the
> case that older clients continue to work (with some exceptions).  Thanks
> for any feedback.  We still have a bunch of 5.1.5 clients out there that
> we've been unsuccessful in prodding our users to upgrade from, so that's
> the level I'm most concerned about.

Hi Paul,

if you know who the users are, I'd say you can give m sort of final
notice... 'your client will be unsupported as of our next upgrade due
$data, if you haven't upgraded to at least version 5.4, we will be
unable to help you with any problems or guarantee service'. It's sort of
BOFH-style CYA, but nobody would be able to claim that you haven't given
them proper notice.

--

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post