ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Top 20 (or so) misunderstood things about TSM - send me my tape

2008-04-02 22:34:47
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Top 20 (or so) misunderstood things about TSM - send me my tape
From: Steven Harris <sjharris AT AU1.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 13:33:35 +1100
On a related note,  there must be some sort of audit requirement floating
around out there.  Every time someone retires a server that has had
financial data on it I'm told  "we've made the final backup, send me the
tape"  and they *won't* take no for an answer.  Most often at that point
the server has been irretrievably damaged so client side manipulation is no
longer possible,

For BA client stuff its fairly easy, just generate a backupset with the
active data on it and sent it to them.  For TDPs however it is more
difficult, particularly the TDP for SAP as it keeps all its data as
archives, and normally the archives aren't set to expire at all, so you get
to keep *every* full backup that was cataloged at the time the server was
retired, and all the incrementals in between, and this can be a very large
amount of data.

One strategy is to send them a random tape that they can pretend has their
data on it, because the likelihood of  a restore from that is minimal, but
thats not my style.  On 5.4 I have been able to export archives with a
fromdate and time that is just before the last full backup.

What about other TDPs?  MSSQL, Exchange, Domino and Oracle use backups but
backupsets only work for TDPs under TSM Express, don't they? Export active
should work for those.

Regards

Steve

Steven Harris
TSM Admin, Sydney Australia

             "Clark, Margaret"
             <MClark AT SDDPC DOT ORG
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: [ADSM-L] Top 20 (or so)
                                       misunderstood things about TSM

             03/04/2008 11:06
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

My favorite is the customer who believes their every backup is on their own
private tape, and will we just send it to them?
- Margaret Clark, San Diego Data Processing