ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Top 20 (or so) misunderstood things about TSM

2008-04-01 08:09:45
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Top 20 (or so) misunderstood things about TSM
From: Howard Coles <Howard.Coles AT ARDENTHEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 07:08:42 -0500
1.  Retention - how it works and why, which would include variations
introduced by various Data Protection agents.  (tape verses file, active
vs. inactive, live verses deleted, incremental forever, SQL Server
Retention vs ORACLE Retention vs Exchange, or file).
2.  Archive vs. Backup in TSM.
3.  Moving nodes through various Policy Domains, and how data is rebound
to a new management class.
4.  The relationship between Domains -> Policies -> Management Classes
-> Backup/Archive Copy Groups and why there are so many levels.
5.  DRM (yep the whole thing).
6.  File Changes and how TSM knows one really has changed.
7.  Primary verses Copy Storage pools (and how to stack them to work to
your advantage, and how to move data from one to the next).
8.  Install & Upgrades. (running commands like "upgrade db" and how to
roll back if need be).
9.  Client and Server Optimization and where to find info.
10.  TDP (all of them) install steps.  Cover the various ways Data
Protection agents can be setup and scheduled.  For example there are at
least two ways (I think three now) to setup an Exchange TDP.  The
question is, which is better?  What are the advantages / disadvantages
of each.
11.  Different Types of Journal Based backup methods for machines with
millions of files.
12.  integration with VTLs of varying configs.
13.  How to obtain the software, and what to obtain (including naming
convention for Server ISO images vs. Client ISO images on Passport
advantage).  IBM doesn't do a good job at making this as easy as it may
sound if you're not very familiar with their site.

This is just an off the top of my head list.  If I were asking for a
book dedicated to TSM I would include things like using SQL Select
Statements to gather info and how to find out what tables are available,
etc.  Also good practices for putting scripts into TSM, as some folks
just put the command in the script and its kind of hard to figure out
what the guy was intending to do who wrote it.  You don't want to "just
run it" 'cause you have no idea what it'll spit out

See Ya'
Howard