ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] separation of copypool tapes

2007-07-13 08:45:42
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] separation of copypool tapes
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 08:43:05 -0400
On Jul 13, 2007, at 8:00 AM, Nick Laflamme wrote:

Richard Sims wrote:
On Jul 12, 2007, at 3:14 PM, Haberstroh, Debbie (IT) wrote:

Deleting all of my copypool volumes could be a problem since I am
only moving half of the tapepool data and have over 600 copypool
tapes.  I will need to find a better way to remove the data. Thanks
for the answer about the data still being there, I wasn't sure how
that would work.

Keep in mind the basic principle that an object remains in the
copypool ONLY as long as it the original object remains in the
primary
pool, a tenet which you can use to advantage.

While I know better than to challenge or contradict someone like
Richard
too often, I'm curious about how I can prove this to myself.

Oh, challenge away... I'm just one of the customers contributing to
this mailing list.  :-)

We've been doing a lot of MODE NODEDATA commands recently as we move
data into pools that collocate by group. The copy storage pools that
correspond to the original smaller tape storage pools don't seem to be
shrinking and expiring as long as the data is still somewhere on the
managed node. We seem to be ending up with three copies of data: the
primary, now in the collocated pool; a secondary in the copy pool
of the
collocated pool, and another secondary in the copy pool of the older,
smaller pool.

This is a more complex case of the general rule, where the primary
object still exists, though relocated by the TSM administrator, and
so the copy lives on.  Technote 1222377 illustrates this.

    Richard Sims, glad that it's Friday.