ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] deleting copypool volumes to be rebuilt by backup stgp

2007-07-13 10:10:54
Subject: [ADSM-L] deleting copypool volumes to be rebuilt by backup stgp
From: Matthew Warren <matthew.warren AT UK.BNPPARIBAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:50:34 +0100
I recalled a point that has bothered me for ages after following the recent
posts regarding splitting the copypool and technote 1222377.

There is a general acceptance that it's ok to do things like, delete the
volumes from the copypool and just let the backup storage pool recreate
them.

But, it's my understanding the copypool volumes are there to protect
against issues such as read errors or otherwise unusable primary pool
tapes.

Is it really a good idea to be relying on the fact you can read the only
copy of all your data once more? (Ok, we have read it once to make the
second copy, but there have perhaps been many movements of the data around
tapes and the file may not be on the piece of tape we know to have been
reliable once).

I think it would be much better of TSM to allow nodedata to be specifically
deleted from a copypool, so long as TSM is aware there is another copy of
the file in another copypool. Perhaps something like delete nodedata
type=copy f=file,space,list? This would avoid the exposure in the first
place.

Matt.

BNP Paribas Private Bank London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in
the United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Securities Services London Branch is authorised
by CECEI & AMF and is regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the conduct of its investment business in
the United Kingdom.

BNP Paribas Fund Services UK Limited is authorised and
regulated by the Financial Services Authority