ADSM-L

Re: Weekly, Monthly, Yearly Selectives

2006-09-12 18:08:33
Subject: Re: Weekly, Monthly, Yearly Selectives
From: Troy Frank <Troy.Frank AT UWMF.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 17:06:17 -0500
This sounds like a classic request from management that doesn't
understand TSM works differently from typical backup software, and
they're trying to shoehorn it into behaving as they're used to.  If you
make your normal retention policy 30 versions or more, you can at least
get rid of the weekly/monthly full backups.  In our case, we do 60
versions held for 60 days.  So if/when we do longer term archives, it
would have to be at most bi-monthly.

Also, as others have mentioned before, there's no need to make these
monthly/yearly backups a selective(full).  You can just make a 12
version & 5 version management policy for the monthly & yearly backups,
respectively.  All the backups can be incremental this way, and you save
bookoo tapes & DB entries (not to mention faster backups).

>>> bscott AT EDS DOT COM 9/12/2006 4:12 PM >>>
Fellow TSM'rs,

I have been tasked to provide a backup schedule to provide weekly,
monthly, and yearly full backups for a 5 year duration. The weekly would
be retained for a month, monthly for a year, and yearly for 5 years.
I've created separate policies, nodenames, etc. to keep the policy
retentions separate. The problem I have is the actual TSM client
schedule on the server.

How do I keep the weekly selective backup from running at the end of
the month when the monthly selective is supposed to kickoff? Same thing
for the monthly at the end of the year when the yearly selective will
kickoff?

I'm running TSM server 5.3.3.0 and BA 5.3.4 and I see the Enhanced
Schedule capability to provide DAYOFWEEK and WEEKOFMONTH to which I can
set Saturday as DAYOFWEEK and First,Second,Third as WEEKOFMONTH but some
months have 4 weeks while others have 5. Also, I can't set the weekly to
be every Saturday BUT the last Saturday of the month and the montly to
be every last Saturday BUT the last Saturday of the year.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Brian

Brian Scott
EDS
Global Client Engineering-GM
MS 3234
4594 W Nancy Dr.
Kankakee, IL 60901

( Phone:+1-815-939-2684)
+ mailto:bscott AT eds DOT com

Confidentiality Notice follows:

The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if any)
is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution
or any action taken, or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in
error, please delete all electronic copies of this message (and the
documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may have
created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank you.