ADSM-L

Re: Sepaton users and experiences?

2006-06-21 09:49:24
Subject: Re: Sepaton users and experiences?
From: "Johnson, Milton" <milton.johnson AT CITIGROUP DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:33:24 -0400
Chip,

We have had a Sepaton S2100-ES2 for ~1 1/2 years and can report it has
given very little trouble.  Think of it as a library on steroids being
very fast especially with tape mounts, dismounts and positioning. Our
environment is:

AIX 5300-04-00
Storage Management Server for AIX-RS/6000 - Version 5, Release 3, Level
3.0
S2100-ES2 (14 TB)
IBM 3494 ATL with two 3590E1A drives

The Sepaton configures and runs just like any other automated tape
library, it doesn't require any special drivers, care or feeding.  We
use the Sepaton for our primary storage pools and use the 3494 to make
copy pool storage volumes for the vault.

Our needs grew to exceed the abilities of our 3494, so we looked to
expand and a Virtual Tape Library (VTL) seemed to provide the most bang
for the buck.  While we are an "IBM shop", IBM did not have a VTL at the
time.  We use a lot of HP wintel servers, but HP also did not have a
VTL.

Sepaton support has been excellent, when something does go amiss their
support personnel not only know their product, all too rare these days,
they also know TSM!  Their engineers can read the bits flowing through a
fibre channel, or off a drive, and know what they mean.

Hope this helps,
Milton