ADSM-L

Re: linux dsmcad problem

2006-03-13 12:29:40
Subject: Re: linux dsmcad problem
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 18:29:12 +0100
Dirk Kastens wrote:
> Andrew Raibeck schrieb:
>
>>> Nevertheless, the section in the client manual regarding dsmcad is not
>>> well described, IMO.
>>

>> What is wrong or missing? What would you like to see?
>

> I think, the section "Configuring Tivoli Storage Manager client/server
> communication across a firewall" should be enhanced to describe the
> consequences of using dsmcad. I was confused by the statement "Method 2:
> For the client scheduler in prompted mode, it is unnecessary to open any
> ports on the firewall."

Which is true if the firewall protects your server (rather than the client).
If you're client is protected by a firewall, running secmode promped does
require a firewall change and schedmode polling doesn't (at least not on the
client side).

It seems that a lot of configurations have their server sitting behind a
firewall, while (apperently, reading from the manual), the client is reachable
by the server on any port. This is at least what is assumed in the manual,
while at least in my environment the reverse is true.

> I was using prompted mode for years with the
> "dsmc sched" running on the client nodes. It doesn't come to my mind
> that I now have to use the WEBPORTS option, because I thought this was
> related to the web client, that I don't want to use.
> The "ADSM Quick Facts" comes to the point: "The WEBports option controls
> the scheduler side's port number (oddly enough)."
> I'm missing a statement like: "If you use dsmcad to start the client
> scheduler, you have to define the webports option on the client".

running either dsmcad or dsmc sched doesn't change this, both (should) behave
the same in this respect.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 3000    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the
computer industry didn't even foresee that the century was going to
end." -- Douglas Adams