ADSM-L

Re: linux dsmcad problem

2006-03-13 07:28:30
Subject: Re: linux dsmcad problem
From: Dirk Kastens <Dirk.Kastens AT UNI-OSNABRUECK DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:08:34 +0100
Andrew Raibeck schrieb:
Nevertheless, the section in the client manual regarding dsmcad is not
well described, IMO.

What is wrong or missing? What would you like to see?

I think, the section "Configuring Tivoli Storage Manager client/server
communication across a firewall" should be enhanced to describe the
consequences of using dsmcad. I was confused by the statement "Method 2:
For the client scheduler in prompted mode, it is unnecessary to open any
ports on the firewall." I was using prompted mode for years with the
"dsmc sched" running on the client nodes. It doesn't come to my mind
that I now have to use the WEBPORTS option, because I thought this was
related to the web client, that I don't want to use.
The "ADSM Quick Facts" comes to the point: "The WEBports option controls
the scheduler side's port number (oddly enough)."
I'm missing a statement like: "If you use dsmcad to start the client
scheduler, you have to define the webports option on the client".

--
Regards,

Dirk Kastens
Universitaet Osnabrueck, Rechenzentrum (Computer Center)
Albrechtstr. 28, 49069 Osnabrueck, Germany
Tel.: +49-541-969-2347, FAX: -2470