ADSM-L

Re: Predefined File Volumes Not Filling To Capacity

2006-03-02 05:07:44
Subject: Re: Predefined File Volumes Not Filling To Capacity
From: Dave Frost <Dave.Frost AT SUNGARD DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 10:02:45 +0000
Andrew,

This looks like it could be a consequence of the undocumented change made
to the file devclass at v5.3 such that the minimum write to a file
devclass file is now 256K.

Check apar IC48331.  However, this apar is only to update the
documentation to match the observed behaviour.....

Regards

Dave
Subtlety: the art of saying what you want to say
and getting out of range before it is understood.
Dave Frost
Technical Consultant
SunGard Availability Services (UK) Limited
London Technology Centre
Heathrow Corporate Park
Hounslow
UK.  TW4 6ER
Tel:           +44 (0) 800 2799 166
Fax:          +(0) 20 8080 8112
mailto:dave.frost AT sungard DOT com
Keeping People and Information Connected (TM)
http://www.availability.sungard.com

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged
or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender and delete this e-mail
and any attachments from your system - further, you must not
copy or disclose their contents to any other person.
SunGard Availability Services does not accept liability for any
damage whatsoever caused from any virus being passed on,
or arising from alteration of this e-mail or any attachment.
The opinions expressed in this e-mail and any attachments
are not necessarily those held by SunGard Availability Services
or any person connected with the company, save those by
whom the opinions were expressed.

SunGard Availability Services (UK) Limited.
Registered in England and Wales No. 2368123.
Registered office:
12-13 Bracknell Beeches, Old Bracknell Lane West,
Bracknell, Berkshire RG12 7BW.

Andrew Carlson <andyc AT ANDYC.CARENET DOT ORG>
01/03/2006 15:11
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
[ADSM-L] Predefined File Volumes Not Filling To Capacity

Hi.

TSM 5.3.2.3 running on AIX 5.2.5

Yesterday, after formatting about 8TB worth of volumes for a file device
class, I defined the volumes to my stgpool.  I migrated some data there,
and let my backups run last night into the new 8TB space.  When I
checked this morning, everything ran fine, but something odd happened.
The storage pool showed less total space than it did yesterday.  Looking
at the volumes, some of them have very little data in them, and show an
estimated capacity much less than the 2GB I predefined them at.  Here is
a sample output:

/ts/i/s6001/v035          BACKDISK     BACKDISK      2,047.3  100.0
Full
/ts/i/s6001/v036          BACKDISK     BACKDISK      2,047.6  100.0
Full
/ts/i/s6001/v037          BACKDISK     BACKDISK      2,036.4  100.0
Full
/ts/i/s6001/v038          BACKDISK     BACKDISK         52.6  100.0
Full
/ts/i/s6001/v039          BACKDISK     BACKDISK      2,044.5  100.0
Full
/ts/i/s6001/v040          BACKDISK     BACKDISK         21.0  100.0
Full
/ts/i/s6001/v041          BACKDISK     BACKDISK         28.0  100.0
Full

In the log, it says end of volume was reached.  Thanks for any info on
this.

Here is my device class:

             Device Class Name: BACKDISK
        Device Access Strategy: Sequential
            Storage Pool Count: 1
                   Device Type: FILE
                        Format: DRIVE
         Est/Max Capacity (MB): 4,096.0
                   Mount Limit: 1,024
              Mount Wait (min):
         Mount Retention (min):
                  Label Prefix:
                       Library: BACKDISK
                     Directory:
/ts/i/s7001,/ts/i/s6001,/ts/i/s7002,/ts/i/s6002
                   Server Name:
                  Retry Period:
                Retry Interval:
                        Shared: Yes
            High-level Address:
              Minimum Capacity:
                          WORM: No
               Scaled Capacity:
Last Update by (administrator): TS55428
         Last Update Date/Time: 02/28/06   09:01:22

Here is my stgpool:

               Storage Pool Name: BACKDISK
               Storage Pool Type: Primary
               Device Class Name: BACKDISK
              Estimated Capacity: 6,660 G
              Space Trigger Util: 12.4
                        Pct Util: 13.6
                        Pct Migr: 23.3
                     Pct Logical: 100.0
                    High Mig Pct: 100
                     Low Mig Pct: 99
                 Migration Delay: 0
              Migration Continue: Yes
             Migration Processes: 1
           Reclamation Processes: 4
               Next Storage Pool:
            Reclaim Storage Pool:
          Maximum Size Threshold: No Limit
                          Access: Read/Write
               Overflow Location:
           Cache Migrated Files?:
                      Collocate?: Group
           Reclamation Threshold: 50
       Offsite Reclamation Limit:
 Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed: 0
  Number of Scratch Volumes Used: 0
   Delay Period for Volume Reuse: 0 Day(s)
          Migration in Progress?: No
            Amount Migrated (MB): 0.00
Elapsed Migration Time (seconds): 0
        Reclamation in Progress?: No
  Last Update by (administrator): TS55428
           Last Update Date/Time: 02/28/06   09:05:12
        Storage Pool Data Format: Native
            Copy Storage Pool(s):
         Continue Copy on Error?:
                        CRC Data: No