ADSM-L

Re: The max recovery log utilization is too high

2006-01-11 14:37:37
Subject: Re: The max recovery log utilization is too high
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 13:33:56 -0600
Richard Sims wrote:

On Jan 11, 2006, at 12:28 PM, Marcelo Barreto wrote:

Hi,
    I receive the message "The max recovery log utilization is too
high"
in my TSM daily report, if I query log (q log) the operation result
is:

Available Assigned  Maximum   Maximum   Page S  Total Us  Used Pag
Pct
Max.
 Space (M Capacity   Extensi   Reducti  Size (  sable Pa       ges
Util
. Pct
      MB)     (MB)  ion (MB)  ion (MB) (bytes)      ages
Util
--------- -------- --------- --------- ------- --------- ---------
-----
-----
    1,100    1,100         0     1,092   4,096   281,088
355   0.1
100.0

    Is that message important? How could I fix that?

Yes.  The Max. Pct Util value should frighten you.
Have a look at your Activity Log entries over the past few days
Add space to your Recovery Log, per the Admin Guide manual.
Then reset the high water mark.

   Richard Sims

You should also consider using the "DEFINE DBBACKUPTRIGGER" to set an
automatic DB backup when the log gets full, BTW this only applies if the
log is in roll forward mode.  In addition you can use the "DEFINE
SPACETRIGGER DB" command to set a threshold whereby TSM will
automatically grow the log if need be.  Both of these features are
designed to keep you from hitting a log full situation.

You seem to have got lucky, often times when the log fills it can cause
the TSM server to crash.  And what is worse it won't restart if the log
is full!  You would then have to do a special procedure that would
include running a "DSMSERV EXTEND LOG" after you manually created a new
recovery log volume for it to use.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting & Education
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Premier Business Partner, VMware Enterprise VIP Reseller
Certified Consultants and Instructors Supporting:
AIX, Linux, Windows, Tivoli, Lotus, WebSphere, DB2, VMware