ADSM-L

Re: Running tapes off-site multiple times in a day?

2006-01-05 10:11:46
Subject: Re: Running tapes off-site multiple times in a day?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:11:02 -0500
On Jan 5, 2006, at 9:54 AM, Kauffman, Tom wrote:

Our management wants to reduce the possible data loss in the event
of a
disaster by taking copies off-site both in the early morning and again
at the end of first shift. ...

Tom - That implies that they are thinking of running backups and then
      Backup Stgpool during prime shift - something which isn't usually
done due to impact on production.  Not knowing all the factors, I might
think of using mirroring (perhaps even through FC to a disk array in a
"safe" building) for failure protection during the day, and stick with
conventional overnight backups for corruption, DR, and auditing reasons.

I'd encourage them to step back and look at the big picture, in
conjunction with prevailing technology opportunities.

  Richard Sims