ADSM-L

Running tapes off-site multiple times in a day?

2006-01-05 09:54:40
Subject: Running tapes off-site multiple times in a day?
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 09:54:34 -0500
Like I said -- the questions are crawling out of the wood-work.

Our management wants to reduce the possible data loss in the event of a
disaster by taking copies off-site both in the early morning and again
at the end of first shift.

Is anyone else doing this? Will this be as painfull as I expect it to
be?

I know I'll have issues with reclaims -- I currently run expire
inventory at noon, with reclaims kicking in shortly thereafter and
sometimes running to 8:00 PM, so I'll have to implement a reclaim
window.

Electronic off-siting isn't an option -- I've seen us cut 400 MB Oracle
redo logs for our SAP/R3 database at the rate of one every 2.5 minutes
for extended time periods (and this is explicitly the data that has to
go off-site). I'd need multiple T1 lines to cover the traffic, and the
cost of a single T1 is considered to be "too high".

I'm currently running TSM 5.1.6.3, planning on upgrading to 5.3.current
in the next two weeks.

TIA

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO Inc