ADSM-L

Re: TDP's and Encryption and 5.3, Oh My....

2005-07-21 15:01:45
Subject: Re: TDP's and Encryption and 5.3, Oh My....
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:01:28 -0400
Hi Wanda,

You can do it if you are using the TSM API at the 5.3 level.

There are IBM knowledge base documents being written as we speak
that explains this.. here is a sneak peak:

Transparent encryption is only available on Tivoli Storage Manager server
Version 5.3.0 (or later). The Tivoli Storage Manager API
enableclientencryptkey  option provides 128-bit transparent encryption of
SQL databases during Data Protection for SQL backup and restore
processing. One random encryption key is generated per session and is
stored on the Tivoli Storage Manager server with the object in the server
database. Although Tivoli Storage Manager manages the key, a valid
database must be available in order to restore an encrypted object.
You can encrypt your SQL databases during Data Protection for SQL backup
and restore processing by specifying enableclientencryptkey  yes in the
client options file (dsm.opt) that is used by Data Protection for SQL. By
default, this file is located in the Data Protection for SQL installation
directory. In this same file, you must specify the databases you want
encrypted by adding an include statement with the include.encrypt option.

Perform the following tasks to encrypt your SQL databases:
1. Verify that you are running version 5.3.0 (or later) of the Tivoli
Storage Manager server and Tivoli Storage Manager API.

2. Edit the DSM.OPT file for the Data Protection client and add this
entry:
ENABLECLIENTENCRYPTKEY  YES

3. Edit the DSM.OPT file for the Data Protection client and add your
include statements. For example:

To encrypt all SQL backup data, specify the following:
        include.encrypt \...\*

To encrypt a specific SQL database named Db1, specify the following:
        include.encrypt  "\... \Db1\...\*"

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 07/21/2005
02:36:12 PM: