ADSM-L

Multiple versions of TSM server on one AIX host

2005-07-20 14:34:32
Subject: Multiple versions of TSM server on one AIX host
From: Bill Kelly <kellywh AT AUBURN DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:34:20 -0500
Hi,

Currently running TSM server 5.2.3.0 on AIX 5.2.

We've been running multiple TSM servers on a single AIX host with no
problems.  We use the DSMSERV_CONFIG and DSMSERV_DIR variables to point to
different dsmserv.opt files and server directories, respectively.

What I'm trying to do now is set things up to run a test TSM server at a
newer maintenance level than the production TSM servers, again all on the
same AIX host. I seem to be stuck in the area of the message repository.

My (limited) understanding of this is that the installation of the TSM
server puts two files in the /usr/lib/nls/msg/en_US directory -
dsmserv.cat and dsmserv.hlp.  These files differ for each version of the
server code, and so I have to ensure that each TSM server gets the correct
version of the message repository files.

I figured I'd start by getting a test TSM server looking at a separate
copy of the 5.2.3.0 message repository.  Once I have the mechanism in
place and working, I can move the test server to the new (5.3.1.2)
version.  Based on past postings to this list, here's what I've tried:

- in the test TSM server's dsmserv.opt file, specify 'LANG en_US_tsm5230'

- in /usr/lib/nls/loc, create the following link:
      en_US_tsm5230 -> /usr/lib/nls/loc/en_US

- in /usr/lib/nls/msg, create a new directory 'en_US_tsm5230' containing
copies of the 5.2.3.0 dsmserv.cat and dsmserv.hlp files

When I start the test TSM server, I'm getting the following message:

 ANR0000W Failure opening message repository for locale en_US_tsm5230(-1).
 Using default message repository.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?  Am I even on the right track??  Or
is there another/better way to accomplish my goal?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Bill Kelly
Auburn University OIT