ADSM-L

Re: Multiple versions of TSM server on one AIX host

2005-07-26 08:29:05
Subject: Re: Multiple versions of TSM server on one AIX host
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 08:28:51 -0400
==> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:00:23 -0500, Bill Kelly <kellywh AT AUBURN DOT EDU>
said:

> Okay, I got no responses to the original posting, so I thought I'd try
> this:  if anyone is successfully running multiple TSM servers at different
> maintenance levels on a single AIX host, would you post some details on
> your setup?  TSM server startup scripts, relevant dsmserv.opt entries,
> directory structure, and anything else that's required to accomplish this?

The idea of copying around the TSM server code directories, and then
installing another code level on top of them, gives me the heebie-jeebies
something awful.  Gentoo Linux provides for multiple code levels installed
side by side.  AIX... doesn't. :)

I would be surprised to find that this configuration was supported, for a list
of reasons beginning with the paragraph you'd need to respond to "TSM level?".

How do you expect you would upgrade code bases other than the one the LPP
installation thinks is installed?

I'd suggest running a MKSYSB of your test server and experimenting there.
That way, if you encounter serious problems you won't be too badly
discommoded. And if you meet with success, I'd say "Keen!" and never try it on
my own production boxen.

- Allen S. Rout
- Hm.  GO GATORS!  *koff*