ADSM-L

cancelled process waiting around

2005-07-05 09:15:26
Subject: cancelled process waiting around
From: "Warren, Matthew (Retail)" <Matthew.Warren AT POWERGEN.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 14:14:51 +0100
Hi TSM'ers,

I have a process that looks like this;

1,949     Backup Storage Pool      Primary Pool RMM_STD_DATA_PRIM_LTO2,
Copy Pool
                                       RMM_STD_DATA_COPY_LTO2, Files
Backed Up: 2881,
                                       Bytes Backed Up: 327,851,654,004,
Unreadable
                                       Files: 0, Unreadable Bytes: 0.
Current Physical
                                       File (bytes): 2,097,416,642
Current input
                                       volume: S20449. Current output
volume: P20191.

This looks fine to me. The trouble is a cancel process was issued
yesterday at 18:00, and the process still hasn't cancelled. I would
expect, from the q pr output above, that once the current file is
completed a cancel would occurr and the process dissappear.

But, it appears the process is simply not doing anything, never
finishing the current file, never cancelling.  So we now need to restart
dsmserv before we can backup that stgpool.

I have never seen a process that reports it succesfully has an input and
output volume not actually doing any work. I have gone and stood next to
the drives in question, head-in-library & listening, but there is
definitley no activity.

Q mo shows the volumes mounted, as ineed they were.  I have since
manually unloaded the tape from the drive, and TSM still reports it is
mounted.

Does anyone have any ideas for clearing the process and avoiding a
server restart?

Matthew Warren.

Matthew_j_warren AT hotmail DOT com
Matthew.warren AT powergen.co DOT uk
http://tsmwiki.com/tsmwiki/MatthewWarren

This message and any attachments are confidential and should only be read by
those to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact us, delete the message from your computer and destroy any copies. Any
distribution or copying without our prior permission is prohibited.

Internet communications are not always secure and therefore Powergen Retail
Limited does not accept legal responsibility for this message. The recipient is
responsible for verifying its authenticity before acting on the contents. Any
views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not
necessarily represent those of Powergen Retail Limited.

Powergen Retail Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services
Authority for the sale and service of general insurance products.

Registered addresses:

Powergen Retail Limited, Westwood Way, Westwood Business Park, Coventry, CV4
8LG.
Registered in England and Wales No: 3407430

Telephone +44 (0) 2476 42 4000
Fax +44 (0) 2476 42 5432