ADSM-L

Re: TSM DR Exercise Restore Ideas

2005-01-14 19:43:25
Subject: Re: TSM DR Exercise Restore Ideas
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 19:43:02 -0500
>>Thanks for the idea - by collocating the offsite, does that mean that
you
eject one tape per node every day?<<

Yes, for our "important" collocated nodes.  That one tape per node
contains the results of the most recent "reclaim" (actually a MOVE DATA)
and the current nights backup.

Our schedule goes like this. During the day, reclaim offsite tapes that
are 60% or more reclaimable by doing a MOVE DATA for them.  This will
write one tape per collocated node. Backup to disk storagepool during
the night.  When backups are done, do BACKUP STG of the disk
storagepools followed by the backup storage pool.  That will append to
the end of the tapes created by the reclaim/MOVE DATA process.  When
these complete, backup the TSM data bases and send the backup and the
copypool tapes offsite.  Finish up with a migrate to move the disk data
to onsite tape, and then expiration.  Then repeat the process.

David