ADSM-L

Re: query bulk i/o

2004-11-18 07:42:54
Subject: Re: query bulk i/o
From: Marcus Witts <marcus.witts AT TWIST-CONSULTING.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:26:48 -0000
Hi all

I wrote a ksh script about a year ago that runs on Microsoft Services for Unix
that interfaces with the lbtest.exe program. I'm sure the same thing can be
written using windows scripts if you know how.

You run the script and it gives a simple menu that allows you to eject DRM
mountable tapes, amongst other things. When the I/O slots are full it waits X
minutes for the tapes to be removed then ejects the rest of them. I seem to
remember it keeps on going until all DRM moutnable tapes have been removed.

It also did various checks before and after...such as has someone left tapes in
the I/O slots overnight? are there conflicting processes running? (ie copy
storage pool volume reclaims that would cause some DRM mountable tapes to not
eject)

Oh, it also sends mails if there are problems and also sends a mail to the tape
courier requesting old vault ret tapes back and telling them what tapes they
are supposed to be collecting.

The script is a bit of a mess - but I'm very proud of it as it solved a number
of problems at one of my customers sites. Email me if you want it, as long as
any improvements to it are distributed to those who want it on the list.

cheers
marcus

marcus dot witts at twist-consulting dot co dot uk