ADSM-L

Long-term data backup strategy

2004-11-12 09:21:28
Subject: Long-term data backup strategy
From: "Levi, Ralph" <RLevi AT HESS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:21:17 -0500
I am looking for suggestions for saving data (db's and the like) for
long periods of time.  Our problem is servers go EOSL (end of service
life) and we build newer ones but usually with different names, and
can't do a simple rename in TSM because both old and new server will
coexist for an extended time.  Ultimately, it is time to delete the old
server from TSM and unfortunately, all the data goes bye-bye.

I prefer not to discuss the reality of what good is this data if the
underlying application or DB version is obsolete.  The users just "want
their data saved" despite that we tell them it is nearly useless.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks,
Ralph