ADSM-L

Re: Disaster Recovery

2004-08-30 12:23:25
Subject: Re: Disaster Recovery
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:24:17 -0500
James --

We looked at this early on, when we were using DLT and had 360+ tapes
offsite. In the end, we decided against using a 'subset' of off-site
tapes.

The purpose of a hot-site D/R test is to validate your processes and
procedures and verify that (a) everything works, and that (b) recovery
time constraints can be met. The only valid way to accomplish these with
a tape subset is to make the subset permanent -- incrementals/archives
to different disk pools, different tape pools, and copied to different
copy pools. Otherwise you may find out the hard way that the third node
takes WAY to long to recover when working through the 'normal' offsite
pool.

We took a different approach when setting up our storage pools. Given
the first 12/24/48 hour objectives, we set up off-site pools for TDP/R3
archives, other oracle database archives, TDP/R3 redo log archives, NT
Exchange backups (co-located, so both servers could restore
simultaneously), primary NT server backups, and AIX system backups. We
configured the on-site disk and tape pools to support the off-site pool
requirements.

Our split allows us to recover our TSM server and then recover two
MS-Exchange servers and our SAP/R3 server concurrently without tape or
tape drive contention. As soon as any one of these finish, we start to
recover the on-site tapes of our primary NT servers -- which are
co-located by filesystem on-site but combined to one copy pool without
collocation off-site to reduce tape requirements; these servers are in
the hour 30+ recovery requirement, so we have time to do this.

We currently run LTO 1 tapes off-site, with an average of 125 off-site
any given day.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO INC.