ADSM-L

Re: Disaster Recovery

2004-08-31 10:56:59
Subject: Re: Disaster Recovery
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:58:13 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Joe Pendergast
>If the systems are small enough, and you have plenty of tapes,
>you can produce "backupset" tapes of each system.  A backupset
>is a self contained tape that allows the client to restore
>without needing the TSM server.  We use a backupset for one of
>our critical systems.

As Mr. Rodriguez mentioned earlier in this thread, using backupsets for
DR testing is not DR testing. If you're trying to replicate the
conditions that hold in a real disaster, you're not going to have
backupsets conveniently up-to-date and ready for you.

One other alternative Mr. Choate has is to run MOVE NODEDATA on the
nodes to be tested:

        MOVE NODEDATA <node_name> fromstg=<copy_pool>

Note the volume number of the tape that is written to, and check that
tape (or tapes) out in preparation for your test.

However, as Mr. Rodriguez also mentioned, this too is not a true DR
test.

Berbee Information Networks
Office 262.521.5627