ADSM-L

Re: Restores in test lab

2004-08-13 13:08:34
Subject: Re: Restores in test lab
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:08:17 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Cooper, Melinda
>We are preparing for an off-site Disaster recovery drill,  in our test
>lab I've installed two parallel Windows 2000 servers that mirror our
>production environment along with the TSM client V5.1. In the test lab
>I've built the operating system with HP SmartStart V7.1 along with
>Windows 2000 CD. The production servers have TSM V5.1 installed, the
>dsm.opt file has 'domain-all local' so the system objects and files are
>being backed up.  In our test environment the first portion is to
>restore the system objects.  After the restore is completed
>then you are
>required to reboot the machine.  Since the servers are on dissimilar
>hardware we tend to get an 'inaccessible_boot_device' upon reboot.

If you're getting an 'inaccessible_boot_device' message, the disk
controller driver that was restored is not compatible with the disk
controller installed on your DR box. The source server probably has a
different controller (or a different release of the same controller)
than the target server.

--
Mark Stapleton