ADSM-L

Re: Restores in test lab

2004-08-13 13:54:41
Subject: Re: Restores in test lab
From: Graham Stewart <graham.stewart AT UTORONTO DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:54:25 -0400
I've had this problem under Windows 2000 when using Ghost to dump a
backup image to a server with different hardware.  The repair suggestion in:

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBM/tip6100/rh6157.htm

has usually solved the problem.

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Cooper, Melinda

We are preparing for an off-site Disaster recovery drill,  in our test
lab I've installed two parallel Windows 2000 servers that mirror our
production environment along with the TSM client V5.1. In the test lab
I've built the operating system with HP SmartStart V7.1 along with
Windows 2000 CD. The production servers have TSM V5.1 installed, the
dsm.opt file has 'domain-all local' so the system objects and files are
being backed up.  In our test environment the first portion is to
restore the system objects.  After the restore is completed
then you are
required to reboot the machine.  Since the servers are on dissimilar
hardware we tend to get an 'inaccessible_boot_device' upon reboot.

If you're getting an 'inaccessible_boot_device' message, the disk
controller driver that was restored is not compatible with the disk
controller installed on your DR box. The source server probably has a
different controller (or a different release of the same controller)
than the target server.

--
Mark Stapleton

--
Graham Stewart
Network Services Manager, Information Technology Services