ADSM-L

Re: storage pool raid 1?

2004-07-21 10:31:31
Subject: Re: storage pool raid 1?
From: "Loon, E.J. van - SPLXM" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:31:43 +0200
Hi Mark!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are saying, well, if a backup is lost due
to a disk failure, it's not a real problem, because you just tell TSM the
volume is gone and the files will be backed up again during the next backup
window.
In that's so, you overlook the following cases:
1) What if some backups are not performed on a daily bases? The impact on
missing a cycle is much bigger!
2) Missing backup pieces and correcting this in a TDP environment is a
tricky task. For instance, when you are using RMAN in your Oracle shop, you
will have a recovery catalog which is not in sync with TSM. It's not a very
easy task to get them in sync again...
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines