ADSM-L

Re: storage pool raid 1?

2004-07-21 18:12:04
Subject: Re: storage pool raid 1?
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:12:05 -0500
Mark,

It's actually worse than that.  For a striped volume with no
fault-tolerance, the overall reliability is the product of the individual
reliability factors.  For example, if you have 10 disks and each has a 99%
reliability rating, the overall reliability of a RAID-0 volume spanned
across all 10 disks is 0.99 ^ 10 = 0.9044.  In other words, that RAID-0
volume is just 90% reliable.

I never use RAID-0 for anything critical.  If all you want is a "big
bucket" and loss of the data isn't that big a deal, then it's a suitable
choice.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram, L.L.C.

"Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
07/21/2004 08:41 AM