ADSM-L

Re: Using multiple client interfaces

2004-07-19 07:27:25
Subject: Re: Using multiple client interfaces
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 07:27:09 -0400
>I wonder if anyone can offer any advise about the following:-
>
>We have a single TSM server with a gigabit interface. (x.x.1.102)
>
>The major backup client is a Solaris machine running four Lotus Domino server
>instances, each instance allocated it's own port on a quad ethernet card.
>
>We have four TSM nodes registered for this client and run four Scheduler
>services, one for each Domino instance. We would like to see each client backed
>up via it's own port on the quad ethernet, however as there is only one TSM
>server address to connect to, Solaris routes all the traffic via the same
>default interface.
>
>Whichever backup is running Solaris always returns the same default route to
>the TSM server and all four nodes backup via the same port.
>
>This has an affect on performance as all the clients need to back up at the
>same time due to operational requirements.
>
>I know that the client option TCPCLIENTADDRESS will tell the TSM server to
>contact the client on a specific IP address but this just seems to be for
>server -> client traffic.
>
>Is there also a way of directing the backup traffic via a specific client
>interface instead of using the default route as specified by the Soalris O/S?

In the usual multi-homed situation, you would have each portal of the quad
ethernet card on a separate subnet, to distribute traffic; and in such case you
would use the TCPServeraddress client option to direct traffic through a
specific subnet, via IP address rather than network hostname.  But whereas you
indicate that the TSM server has only a single network address, fanning out the
client traffic seems moot.

As you'd expect, this topic has been explored before, and you can see past
discussions at one of the List archive sites
(www.mail-archive.com/adsm-l AT vm.marist DOT edu/      www.adsm.org)
by searching on "default route" or similar keywords.

Your best course is to talk to your network people about optimal network
configuration and path utilization to achieve what you intend.  This will assure
that you end up with the best arrangement - without causing unexpected loads to
appear on subnets which may be intended for other purposes.

    Richard Sims