ADSM-L

Using multiple client interfaces

2004-07-19 05:27:20
Subject: Using multiple client interfaces
From: Cheese Machine <dunum_sin AT YAHOO.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 10:12:01 +0100
Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone can offer any advise about the following:-

We have a single TSM server with a gigabit interface. (x.x.1.102)

The major backup client is a Solaris machine running four Lotus Domino server
instances, each instance allocated it's own port on a quad ethernet card.

We have four TSM nodes registered for this client and run four Scheduler
services, one for each Domino instance. We would like to see each client backed
up via it's own port on the quad ethernet, however as there is only one TSM
server address to connect to, Solaris routes all the traffic via the same
default interface.

Whichever backup is running Solaris always returns the same default route to
the TSM server and all four nodes backup via the same port.

This has an affect on performance as all the clients need to back up at the
same time due to operational requirements.

I know that the client option TCPCLIENTADDRESS will tell the TSM server to
contact the client on a specific IP address but this just seems to be for
server -> client traffic.

Is there also a way of directing the backup traffic via a specific client
interface instead of using the default route as specified by the Soalris O/S?

Thanks for your help

Jon