ADSM-L

Re: Tier'ed library

2004-06-15 14:53:59
Subject: Re: Tier'ed library
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 13:53:39 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Tab Trepagnier
>TSM Server 5.1.9.0 on AIX 5.2 ML-2
>TSM Server 5.2 media on hand
>
>We have outgrown our 3583 and 3575s, so I'm looking for a new tape
>library.  At first I though my only choices were another standalone
>library like the 3583 or go with a frame system like the 3584.  I have
>problems with both approaches.

Whatever you go to, try to stay with LTO. Not only will you be able to
use the tape inventory you have at hand, but most other media just won't
take the punishment TSM metes out to tape.

I think you're going to have a hard time finding something between the
scales of a 3583 and a 3584. Have you thought about just adding another
3583 library? A full-up 3583 with LTO gen 2 tape drives has 24TB+ of
capacity and will give you six additional drives. The newer 3583s
support logical partitioning and fiber connectivity.

Mr. Bullock's post in this thread is also of merit. You might consider
his alternative as well.

--
Mark Stapleton