ADSM-L

Tier'ed library

2004-06-15 14:26:07
Subject: Tier'ed library
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 13:22:39 -0500
TSM Server 5.1.9.0 on AIX 5.2 ML-2
TSM Server 5.2 media on hand

We have outgrown our 3583 and 3575s, so I'm looking for a new tape
library.  At first I though my only choices were another standalone
library like the 3583 or go with a frame system like the 3584.  I have
problems with both approaches.

The standalone library, while cheaper, means that in 2-3 years I will have
filled up yet  another library now destined to collect dust in a corner.
Since ADSM 2 six years ago we have use 10 different libraries or
autoloaders on our system.  Five of them are still in service.  That is
ridiculous.

The frame system is just too expensive for our little company.  We've
obtained quotes for four and six drive configurations using LVDS and FC,
and the price range is $125K - $180K.  That's a LOT of money to us.

So I'm thinking that a standalone library that can be expanded in tiers
would be an effective way to "split the difference."  Start smaller with
one tier, and simply add a tier once we've outgrown it.

I'm thinking four LTO-2 drives using LVDS connectivity to start.  Initial
*real* capacity should be about 10 TB.  It should accept at least two
additional tiers before maxing out.  It must be supported by some variant
of TSM 5.x.

What has been the experience of forum users with libraries of that type?
Do you have any brand/model recommendations?  Models to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram, L.L.C.