ADSM-L

TSM, Novell and Groupwise, a menage a trois from hell or a polygamous match made in heaven?

2004-06-07 00:26:48
Subject: TSM, Novell and Groupwise, a menage a trois from hell or a polygamous match made in heaven?
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:26:12 +1000
Hi all,

This one is for Netware and groupwise admins.

I'm looking at putting TSM servers into some small sites which run Netware
servers. Part of the equation is that they run Groupwise post offices as well.

I'm not a Novell person, but I've looked at the TSM, Novell and Groupwise
documentation and this is how it seems to me.

The SMDR component and TSAFS provide SMS services which allow objects to be
presented to a backup product.  When you run *any* other product's tsa, then
the product's objects are expressed within the SMS object tree and  *should*
therefore be accessible to any backup product which uses SMS services.

As an example, the TSM product uses  TSANDS to backup the  edirectory using
exactly this mechanism.
However, the TSM client seems to have a different interface built in for each
TSA - to work with NDS objects, it is necessary to specify nds: as part of the
name, ie, NDS Support has been added into the TSM  client rather than extending
the general functionality of SMS backup.

BackupExec can backup Groupwise objects  as easily as any other SMS object.
I've heard that TSM cannot.

1. Is it still the case that TSM can't backup Groupwise objects?
2. Is my limited understanding of the Novell backup environment and its
interaction with TSM correct?
3. Is there any  way to couple the Groupwise and TSM APIs other than SMS? I'm
aware of the DBCOPY and GWBACKUP utilities, but they leave a lot to be desired
and are not incremental in nature.

Many thanks for your comments

Steve.

PS  I've only had the one reply to my post about backup rates for file servers.
 Please, if you have any data, share it.

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health, Brisbane Australia

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s).  This confidentiality is not waived or
lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is
transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality
if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in
error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by return
email.  You should also delete this email and destroy any hard copies produced.