ADSM-L

Command line equivalent for GUI

2004-05-12 12:17:19
Subject: Command line equivalent for GUI
From: rh <rh_info_store AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 09:17:02 -0700
Hi,

I'm backing up a NAS device with 1M+ files. As other
posts indicate, the only way to get any performance in
this setup is to split the file backups across
multiple sessions. In my case I have two backup hosts,
each running two backup streams. I can start each of
the four backup streams using the GUI and selecting
appropriate folders. A kind of load balancing is
achieved by picking an appropriate mix of folders for
each backup stream. Each backup runs in a few hours
each stream processing a subset of the 1M files.

My problem is I can't figure out how to accomplish the
same thing using the command line and associated
include/excludes. I'd like to schedule the four
streams to run the same way, each with an appropriate
set of folders/files to process. It would be wonderful
if I could somehow see how this is accomplished via
the GUI, as I can't seem to get the same behavior
using commands. Each combination I have tried always
results in each backup stream processing/scanning all
of the 1M files! This takes way too many hours and
doesn't provide the same parallel behavior I get when
running the GUI. How can I limit each stream to
processes only the files/folders I desire without
scanning everything; the same way as the GUI seems to
function?

Thanks for your help,
Rodney Hroblak
ADP