ADSM-L

Disk and Tape access over the same fibre adapter

2004-04-29 07:24:37
Subject: Disk and Tape access over the same fibre adapter
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 07:20:34 -0400
Just got a new client that wants to do some LANfree backups, but they don't
believe me when I tell them that the recommended way is to have a separate
HBA for disk and tape. They don't think that mixing the 2 will be a
performance issue. I remember a couple years ago this was an issue of data
corruption, but that has been addresses.

Can someone point me to any whitepapers or documentation explaining why they
should spend a couple more $'s and get an additional adapter for those
server they want to do LANfree backups on?

TIA,

Bill Boyer
"Experience is a comb that nature gives us after we go bald." - ??