ADSM-L

Re: Disk and Tape access over the same fibre adapter

2004-04-29 07:34:36
Subject: Re: Disk and Tape access over the same fibre adapter
From: Daniel Sparrman <Daniel.Sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:32:45 +0200
Hi Bill

Just check out the readme-files that comes with the patch/maintenance
package. It clearly states that Tivoli recommends connecting the tape
drives on separate adapters from the disk.

>From the readme-file of the TSM StorageAgent for SUN v5.2.1.3
(ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/tivoli-storage-management/patches/storage-agent/5.2.1.3/TSMSTA5213_SUN.README):

* Host Bus Adapter recommendation      *

It is highly recommended that Tape Drives and Tape Libraries be connected
to the
system on their own host bus adapter and not share with other devices
types (DISK,
CDROM, etc.).

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
-----------------------------------
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Propellervägen 6B
183 62 TÄBY
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
2004-04-29 13:20
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Disk and Tape access over the same fibre adapter

Just got a new client that wants to do some LANfree backups, but they
don't
believe me when I tell them that the recommended way is to have a separate
HBA for disk and tape. They don't think that mixing the 2 will be a
performance issue. I remember a couple years ago this was an issue of data
corruption, but that has been addresses.

Can someone point me to any whitepapers or documentation explaining why
they
should spend a couple more $'s and get an additional adapter for those
server they want to do LANfree backups on?

TIA,

Bill Boyer
"Experience is a comb that nature gives us after we go bald." - ??