ADSM-L

Re: Backing up NDS/eDirectory server

2004-03-23 08:39:17
Subject: Re: Backing up NDS/eDirectory server
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 08:39:20 -0500
Let me add a few things gleaned from my (and others) experience with this
process.

1. It is best to get the 5.2.2.3 patch release. It addresses memory-leak
issues in 5.2.2.0.

2. While the recommendation of running the backup "from the server that
holds the master replica" is probably OK in general, use caution (and
testing) with this configuration. I did this and started having all kinds
of problems, due to the high-CPU spikes (documented in a Novell TID)
caused by the TSM backup (100% off and on during the backup). Our primary
eDirectory (aka NDS with LDAP front-end) server handles 20000+
authentication requests per hour (and will grow as we expand the use of
eDirectory). Running the backup from this server, was detrimental.  I
moved it to one of the replica servers and haven't had any issues, so far.

3. Make sure to get the latest TSANDS and TSA600 NLMs from Novell.  In
this same vein, the common thread on this discussion in a Novell
discussion group has been to avoid using TSAFS with TSM (not ready for
prime time) and watch out for the NW6 Service Pack 4 updates. Lots of
issues caused by it.

As always, YMMV !

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 01/14/2004
04:42:37 PM: