ADSM-L

How to block tape drive?

2004-03-23 03:34:38
Subject: How to block tape drive?
From: Jozef Zatko <zatko AT LOGIN DOT SK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:17:31 +0100
Hello guys,
can somebody help me with following problem?
I need to backup Oracle database (many of them) using b/a TSM client by
putting Oracle into backup mode and backup all Oracle data files.
Because of activity on Oracle database, before putting Oracle database
into backup mode, I need to be sure that I have available tape drive for
backup
(backup will be done LAN-free using TSM STA).
My idea is to use script, which will select empty (or available, ie.
loaded but not used - idle) drives from drives table using select command
and then put one of them to offline until I have Oracle in backup mode,
and then put this drive back to online just before backup starts.
My problem is that from drives table it is not possible to get enough
information about state and activity of the drive. There is only
information whether drive is loaded or not.
Using "q mount" command I can get also information whether drive is "in
use" or "idle".
Is it possible to get this information also using some select command? Or
any other ideas?

Many thanks

Ing. Jozef Zatko
Login a.s.