ADSM-L

Re: TSM Space Management (HSM) on zOS

2004-03-02 12:40:28
Subject: Re: TSM Space Management (HSM) on zOS
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 11:40:02 -0600
Hi Ted,

I think you are confusing where HSM is running.   In you case HSM is not
running on the zSeries box.  It is running on some supported client
(often referred to as the HSM server) and is simply using the ITSM
server on the zSeries for storing it's migrated files.  This is
completely supported.  HSM does not care what type of ITSM server it is
talking to.  What is not supported is running Linux on zSeries machine
and then trying to use that Linux client as a HSM server, i.e. have the
Linux client files migrate.  Obviously, HSM will not work directly on
the zSeries box since it is only supported as a ITSM server.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE

Spendlove, Ted wrote:

Hi folks,

I have just been in contact with a VAR that remarkets TSM.  The staffer
there is telling me that "you can license and run Space Management on any
server except for
zSeries or S/390."

Now, we are running Space Management (HSM) on TSM 5.1.1.6 server on OS/390
servicing AIX clients of various versions.  Are we doing something
unsupported?  Anyone else out there running HSM on a OS/390 or z/OS server?

Ted Spendlove
ATK Thiokol Propulsion