ADSM-L

AW: AW: TSM DB cleanup

2004-03-02 13:01:40
Subject: AW: AW: TSM DB cleanup
From: Salak Juraj <j.salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 19:05:35 +0100
Glen, your points are sound.

I still see it more differentiated.

I run 4 ~ years ago an audit just on occasion,
just as Ralph wants to.
It found a sleeping inconsistency.
This resulted in more and more work, in an opened PMR,
even in sending a DB dump to the tivoli labors
... only to figure out my hardware was faulty
and I had to replace it.

In detail, both the interrupt controller on motherboard
and raid controller had occasionaly problems
to handle shared interrupts, causing scsi disk writes
to write wrong data(!) to disks. Raid5 was of no help.
This error happend only once a week or so, causing faulty DB writes
to happen maybe quarterly.....
Needles to say, few files in disk storage pools had bit failures as well.
And yes, the server and all componets used
were suposed to be of high quality.

Well, this is like like an anti-LOTTO first price win,
(LOTTO known in US? you win if 5 correct guessed from 45)
but still I cannot be the only who had had such problems -
think about CRC options added some times later to TSM.
So If one can afford time to do an audit, maybe with fix=no,
it will do no harm at all (except for irritating mirriads of mirriads of
elektrons)
and make him know everything is OK.

This is my personal experience -
there is difference between believeing
everythyng is OK and between knowing it.

Maybe weird? I do not carry.

Juraj Salak