ADSM-L

adding LTO2 into LTO1 library

2004-01-26 07:50:52
Subject: adding LTO2 into LTO1 library
From: i love tsm <ilovetsm AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:50:31 +0000
Hi All

I just wanted to clarify a couple of things....

We currently have a 3584 with LTO1 drives.  TSM Server is win2k  and  at
5.2.1.3

From reading various articles I know that with version 5.2 I should be able
to run both LTO1 and LTO2 drives within one logical library,ie no
partitioning, using devclass to seperate them

Therefore is my thinking correct that when we have installed the LTO2 drives
and windows can see them that

1) define new drives
2) define paths to drives
3) define devclass LTO2 , format Ultrium2 in the existing library
4) create new storage pools using the new devclass

My question is, how does TSM/3584  ensure that the LTO2 tapes are only
mounted in LTO2 drives..or does the library mount any generation of tape in
any drive..?

Ideally I would like to ensure that the LTO2 tapes are only used in the LTO2
drives..would this require partitioning?

TIA

Chris

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger