ADSM-L

Re: any possibility to make a copy of a dbbackup tape?

2004-01-26 07:37:10
Subject: Re: any possibility to make a copy of a dbbackup tape?
From: Dwight Cook <cookde AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 06:19:59 -0600

You might try any tape utility that exists on the host system to perform
such a tape copy.

FYI... one thing I tried (which failed) was to use a host system utility
(tapeutil under AIX 4.3) to copy the ~files~ off a TSM DB backup tape to a
flatfile on disk so I could ftp that over to a system, that didn't have a
3590-E1A tape drive available, and attempt to restore the TSM DB on a test
system.
The tape/file dump gave me a 1st small file, then a 2nd large file which
was what I guessed was the tsm db backup, followed by a 3rd small file.
Upon attempting the restore I received some messages reporting invalid
sequence number encountered... something like record 1 expected, found
record number 34725743023677833 (oh well, had to  try...it was easier than
going out and pulling cables around under raised floor)

Dwight

                      "Kolling, Paul"
                      <Paul.Kolling@IZB        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      .DE>                     cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  any possibility to
make a copy of a dbbackup tape?
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      01/26/2004 05:48
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Hello everbody,

is there any possibility to make a copy of a dbbackup tape?

regards
Paul

GIF image

GIF image