ADSM-L

Re: Tape Technology Comparison

2003-10-04 10:29:47
Subject: Re: Tape Technology Comparison
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 17:24:46 +0300
Apples vs. oranges, you ought to know.
Better do not put 9940B in this basket. LTO is upper mid-class drive,
while 9x40 are high-end drives. You can compare them with the newly
announced IBM 3592 drives for 3494. Searchng through list archives you can
find alot of discussions making the same point.
Mid-class: ADIC i2000, HPaq ESL9322, IBM 3584, StorageTek L700e/LTO-2
High-end: IBM 3494/3592, StorageTek L700e/9940B

So the compare should be in two phases:
- consider cheaper mid-class LTO-2 vs. heavy-duty high-end 3592/9940B. You
may take Richard's suggestion (3592/9940B for primary; LTO-2 for copy
pools) into consideration.
- select within the range the vendor best suitable for you

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Neil Schofield <neil.schofield AT YORKSHIREWATER.CO DOT UK>
30.09.2003 15:09