ADSM-L

Re: Tape Technology Comparison

2003-10-01 12:07:00
Subject: Re: Tape Technology Comparison
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 12:04:43 -0400
>If I were running a shop that supports TSM/HSM functions, I would argue for
>the highest-end product you can buy and go with either 3590 or STK.

In a shop with a goodly amount of money, based upon my experience I'd go for
tiered tape technologies: something like a 3590 library for primary tape storage
pools, where optimal start-stop performance and speed is important; and some
kind of streaming tape library technology for non-collocated copy storage pools
and cheaper, more capacious, but reliable offsite tapes which get banged around
a lot.

  Richard Sims, BU