ADSM-L

Re: Fw: NEW Magstar Drive ????

2003-08-08 09:31:39
Subject: Re: Fw: NEW Magstar Drive ????
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 09:31:22 -0400
>I am not anctious to use a 1TB tape.
>
>1. The extra tape length means longer FWD and RWD times.

Not necessarily.  The specs aren't out on the new technology, but I'd
be surprised if the tape could be made thinner (and remain reliable)
so as for its length to be longer inside the same-sized cartridge as
has been used since 1985 (3480).  Most capacity gains are made in
areal density, meaning more (serpentine) tracks on a 1/2" tape.  So
the tape length will probably be about the same as 3590 'K'.
Transport speeds might even be faster.

As you say, that much capacity means more eggs that can be broken in
one basket.  Higher capacity tapes make sense where quantity is an
issue, such as in very high data capacity libraries, and in offsite
shipping costs.  (Here it is the 21st century and we're still trucking
tapes around. Sheesh.)

  Richard Sims, BU