ADSM-L

Re: Backup to a specific tape

2003-07-15 10:50:25
Subject: Re: Backup to a specific tape
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:49:52 +0200
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:38:10 +0200
Tim Smith <tsmith AT PHREAKER DOT NET> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm a bit of a TSM newbie, so I'd like to check something with you guys...
> what's the correct way of backing up a certain machine to a certain tape?
> I want to make sure that my mail server is backed up to a certain tape,
> which contains nothing but that particular server's backup files.  My idea
> was to create a separate storage pool for that machine.  Is this the right
> way to go?  Can I then just have TSM grab tapes from the scratch pool or
> do I have to define volumes that this storage pool, and only this storage
> pool, can write to?  I'm grateful for any hints and tips!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Tim Smith
> (tsmith AT phreaker DOT net)

Tim,

if you define a volume to be in a storagepool, and the maxscratch for that
pool is zero, TSM will use only the tapes in that pool for backup... if the
tapes are all full, backups will fail. Remember that you need at least one
empty tape in a pool to be able to do reclaimation.

Setting up a separate pool is indeed the way to go. You could look into the
colocation options on a storagepool to see if that is what meets your
demands, in that case you could have multiple systems with more or less
identical requirements all use the same storagepool....

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Stichting Academisch Rekencentrum Amsterdam    http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams