ADSM-L

Re: how to get multi-session restore to work?

2003-06-04 10:35:13
Subject: Re: how to get multi-session restore to work?
From: Robin Sharpe <Robin_Sharpe AT BERLEX DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 10:34:46 -0400
We just did a large restore of an NT box, and got the multi-session restore
working.

As others have said, make sure the RESOURCEUTILIZATION on the client's
dsm.sys is set to more than 1, and the MAXNUMMP for the client's node
definition in the server is GREATER  or EQUAL to the RESOURCEUTILIZATION
(the manual states that if RESOURCEUTILIZATION is greater, you may get
errors).

Final requirement is that a RESTARTABLE RESTORE is done.  The manual (for
Windows client) says that choosing any drive or directory will work, but we
found that you must select an entire drive to get the multiople sessions.
Unix equivalent would be an entire filesystem, although I haven't tested it
on Unix yet... it may be a Windows client restriction.

Also, the manual says that additional sessions are only started when data
resides on a different tape volume, so there *should* not be any contention
problems... and we didn't have that issue, with eight sessions running.

Good Luck
Robin Sharpe
Berlex Labs

                    "MC Matt Cooper
                    (2838)"
                    <Matt.Cooper@AMGREE To:    ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    TINGS.COM>          cc:
                    Sent by: "ADSM:     Subject:
                    Dist Stor Manager"         how to get multi-session restore
to work?
                    <[email protected]

                    06/03/03 10:16 AM
                    Please respond to
                    "ADSM: Dist Stor
                    Manager"

Hello all,
        I have an AIX platform that I know had a multi-session backup done.
However, the restore seems to be a single thread.  What haven't I done?
The TSM client is 5.1.0 the server is 5.1.5.4.  The restore was initiated
with the gui.
Matt