ADSM-L

Re: Auditdb timing - FYI

2003-05-27 11:35:24
Subject: Re: Auditdb timing - FYI
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 09:45:29 -0400
>05/27/2003 09:00:56  ANR2017I Administrator XXXXXX issued command:
>                     DELETE FILESPACE ZZZZZZ *

I would caution against wildcard or like multiple mass updating operations
(Delete Volume) in the TSM database due to the possibility of collisions in
the same area of the database.  One could argue that utterly safe locking
should be in place to prevent problems in concurrent updates, but I don't
like pushing my luck.  (In a prior life I worked in database support.)
Realize that deletions of this type are *intense* database updating
operations, and appreciate that things can go very wrong if there is any
exposure in that proprietary database software.

  Richard Sims, BU