ADSM-L

Unable to restore bkp vol

2003-05-13 23:27:26
Subject: Unable to restore bkp vol
From: Sam Sheppard <SHS AT SDDPC.SANNET DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 20:25:31 PDT
I have a 3590 backup volume that got multiple read errors during the
storage pool backup this morning.  This volume was initially created
2 days ago and backed up fine yesterday.  Due to the read errors, the
data written to it yesterday was not copied to the backup pool.

We attempted a 'move data' command on this volume which also failed;
the entire volume is now unreadable.  So now, we attempt a 'restore
volume preview=yes' to find out which copypool volumes are needed for
the real restore volume.  The result:

ANR1256W Volume M00457 contains files that could not be restored.

Same result without the 'preview' option.  There are files that don't
exist on the copy pool (due to the read errors on volume backup), but
there is a lot of data that does.
This message indicates there may be a reclamation, audit volume, move
data, or delete volume in progress, but that is not the case.

I'm in a bind here in that I need to restore as much of the volume as
possible, but it looks like the fact that some files on the volume do
not exist on the copypool is failing the restore.  Anyone have any
ideas?

Thanks
Sam Sheppard
San Diego Data Processing Corp.